Software solution from the cloud. Here are the key advantages
As a famous song by Reinhard Mey has it, the freedom above clouds is boundless. Cloud services are now firmly anchored in our everyday lives and are a widely prevailing part and parcel of the private sector. Companies, however, are often reluctant to harness cloud-based solutions. Cloud services are still often meeting with prejudices, especially when it comes to sensitive personnel data. But all this should really be over and done with in the meantime. In this article you will not only learn about the potentials of the cloud, but also exactly why it is highly advantageous to go ahead and make the switch.
Whoever become more deeply involved in cloud-based software solutions will invariably encounter terms that require some explanation. IaaS, PaaS and SaaS, for example. Sorry, what’s that? Ok, so here are some explanations:
- Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS): This refers to the provision of a data center infrastructure by a provider making these services available in the cloud. They can be accessed via private or public networks, and the IT infrastructure is outsourced. This includes the procurement of hardware, the operation and maintenance of server hardware for applications and the database, as well as the firewall and network infrastructure.
- Platform as a Service (PaaS): In cloud computing, PaaS is perceived as a link between SaaS and IaaS. We've learned that IaaS provides the infrastructure that companies need to accomplish their work. PaaS goes one step further and provides the customer with a performance and service package enabling work at the developer level. As in the case of IaaS, this includes servers, operating systems, storage space, etc. but also development tools, programming languages, database management systems or container techniques.
- Software as a Service (SaaS): Here, a software solution and the necessary IT infrastructure is operated by an external IT service provider. In addition to the hardware, it also ensures the operation of the application software, provides updates, monitors application logs, application availability and professional data backup routines. Given that SaaS is an all-inclusive package, the installation and maintenance of the operating system are also included.
Business-Software from the Cloud: The Advantages
Enough explanations – now it’s time to address the prejudices and highlight the advantages of cloud-based solutions. So here they are, the best reasons why it's well worthwhile for companies to transition or move to the cloud.
- Administration effort and input: Operating your IT resources in-house, automatically incurs maintenance and administration effort and input. The move to the cloud eliminates these expenses and enables your IT department to concentrate on its core competencies. Operating systems and databases are at your disposal, thereby dispensing with maintenance input. What is more, the necessary resources are optimally matched to individual company requirements profiles.
- Costs: Picking up on advantage number one, less administration effort naturally also results in lower costs. Cloud solutions already include operating systems and database licenses. The capital savings can be profitably invested elsewhere in the company. Moreover, you will also benefit from flexible contract terms and monthly billing.
- Scalability: Now speaking of costs: Cloud solutions offer you maximum flexibility. They are individually scalable both upwards and downwards and adapt to your requirements. True to the motto: Grow as you go. You have a new location or open up a new branch? No problem. The solution simply grows in synch with your company. And you always pay for exactly the licenses you actually use.
- Data protection: In most cases, the topic of data security is a point at which many companies shy away. However, if you decide on a provider that is subject to contract law in accordance with the DSGVO, this also means data protection in accordance with this high standard and in appropriately certified data centers. You do not have to worry about the security of your data.
- Service levels: You will not only be flexible when it comes to scalability. A cloud solution also significantly increases organizational flexibility. Appropriate service level agreements ensure application availability at all times. Technology, security and utilization risks are outsourced accordingly, while at the same time ensuring the operation of your business software that is running in the cloud.
- Implementation: A cloud solution enables rapid availability of the software in the company. Especially for medium-sized companies with a small number of IT employees, the introduction of company-wide business software often presents challenges. If you can rely on the know-how of a competent partner, however, the short-term and rapid provision of a software solution is no problem.
- Technology: Software in the cloud also means that your solution is always state-of-the-art given that the latest releases and updates are automatically provided by the hosting partner.
- Support: Opting for a cloud solution, you not only acquire external hardware and software, but also the expertise of your hosting partner. In the event of problems or even downtimes, you can always rely on fast and comprehensive support.
- Future viability and sustainability: Cloud business will continue to grow, that is inevitable. Consequently, cloud offerings will also become more diverse. Who knows, maybe software and applications run in-house will soon even disappear completely? Cloud investments are also investments in the future. The current demand for cloud solutions in the workforce management market is already strong and will become even stronger in the future. So remember Reinhard Mey. Above the clouds freedom is boundless.
If you would like to know more about cloud-based workforce management, be sure to check out our website or contact us directly. We’d be happy to advise you. Or go ahead and download our Cloud brochure here.